Install the Prometheus exporter plugin in Jenkins:
- If this is your first time using Jenkins, you can have a look at their documentation here and familiarize yourself with the Jenkins Dashboard.
- Go to “Manage Jenkins” then “Manage Plugins” and install “ Prometheus metrics plugin”.
- This plugin will expose an endpoint (default /prometheus) with metrics where a Prometheus Server can scrape data.
- You can see the output of this plugin visiting this URL
Configure Prometheus to scrape metrics from Jenkins:
- To configure Prometheus server you will need to edit in the configuration file
- In the scrape_configs section you will need to add a job for Jenkins server:
- job_name: 'Jenkins' metrics_path: '/prometheus/' static_configs: - targets: ['Jenkins_Host:PORT'] metric_relabel_configs: - action: replace source_labels: [exported_job] target_label: jenkins_job - action: labeldrop regex: exported_job
- Replace “Jenkins_Host” and “PORT” with the URL of your Jenkins server then restart the server.
Dennis Otugo is a Consultant at Bantrain, and loves all things DevOps. In his role, he enables enterprise customers in their digital transformation journey and helps architect cloud-native solutions